Overseas Teachers

Individuals that have trained as a teacher outside of the UK are still able to be offered teaching work, however, before we can process your application, there are a few additional points that need to be addressed before being invited in for an interview.

Overseas Police Check

We will require a Police check from your home country (if this is not provided in English, we will also require a certified translation copy).  In addition to this we will need to process an Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau check.

UK Naric

UK Naric is the National Agency responsible for providing information and expert opinion on vocational, academic and professional skills and qualifications from over 180 countries worldwide.  You will need to contact this organisation in order for you to provide us with written evidence of the UK comparability of your qualifications.

www.naric.org.uk  or telephone them on 0871 330 7033.

Work Permits

As a non UK passport holder, there may be restrictions for you taking employment.  Should you require a Work Permit, this will need to be in place before we can offer you any form of employment.

Voluntary Work

Teaching in the UK can be a very different experience from what many overseas trained teachers are used to.  We therefore request that you obtain some voluntary teaching experience in a British school before registering with us.  We ask you to do this in order for you to experience the differences in schemes of work, class sizes, behaviour management strategies and generally how the school day runs.  You will need to organise this voluntary experience yourself by contacting some local schools and explaining your situation to them.  The length of this voluntary experience is totally dependent on how comfortable you feel with the differences in our education system, however, we would contact the school for an overview of this voluntary work should you then chose to progress your application with us.

Behaviour Management

Primary and secondary classrooms have changed radically over the last few years. Effective classroom and behaviour management is one of the major concerns of schools and of supply teachers. As a supply teacher, you may find it difficult to walk into a new classroom, full of pupils you have never met before, and to manage successfully the behaviour, and therefore the learning, of those pupils. From the point of view of the school, staff may be concerned that supply teachers would not be able to maintain sufficient discipline for learning to take place.

National Curriculum

The national curriculum applies to pupils of compulsory school age in community and foundation schools, including community special schools and foundation special schools, and voluntary controlled schools.

The statutory subjects that all pupils must study are art and design, citizenship, design and technology, English, geography, history, information and communication technology, mathematics, modern foreign languages, music, physical education and science. The teaching of careers education, sex education and religious education is also statutory.

The following Link will take you to the National Curriculum website and will allow you to browse the curriculum for both Primary and Secondary aged students.

Qualified Teacher Status

Qualified teacher status (QTS) is the accreditation that enables you to teach in state-maintained and special schools in England and Wales.  Some overseas trained teachers who have qualified in countries within the EEC (European Economic Community) may be entitled to have their qualifications verified to incorporate QTS.  To find out if you are eligible for the award of QTS contact www.gov.uk/qualified-teacher-status-qts

Who needs QTS?

Anyone who wants to teach in a state-maintained school in England or Wales needs to gain qualified teacher status (QTS). To achieve this award, you need to complete a period of initial teacher training (ITT), which will enable you to meet the professional standards for QTS; a formal set of skills and qualities required to be an effective teacher. As an overseas trained teachers, you are entitle to teach in UK  schools for a maximum period of  4 years before having to gain QTS status to continue to teach in state maintained schools in the UK.

How do you get QTS?

There are a number of different forms of ITT, and many more individual courses for you to choose from. You can complete your training at undergraduate or postgraduate level, and even take an employment-based route.

General Information

The English education system is generally split into two sections – Primary and Secondary

Primary caters for pupils between the ages of 3 and 11

  • Nursery is equivalent to pre-school (ages 3 and 4)
  • Reception is the first year in primary (ages 4 and 5)
  • Key Stage 1 is the same as Infant – Years 1 and 2 (ages 5 to 7)
  • Key Stage 2 is the same as Juniors – Years 3 to 6  (ages 7 to 11)

Secondary caters for pupils between the ages of 11 – 18

  • Key Stage 3 – Years 7 to 9 (ages 11 to 14)
  • Key Stage 4 –  Years 10 to 11 (ages 14 to 16) GCSE Exam Years
  • Key Stage 5 – Years 12 to 13 ( ages 16 to 18) AS and A2 Exam Years

The class sizes in English State Education are generally between 25 – 30 pupils.  30 is the maximum for classes in year 2 and below.  Secondary Exam groups may have a little as 10 pupils in a class

Pay, Tax and National Insurance Contributions

Salary payments for all teachers that work for Classic Education are paid directly into their bank account via the BACS system (Banking Automated Clearing System).  All salaries are paid via PAYE (Pay as you earn) and therefore Income Tax and National Insurance deductions are taken before payment is made to you and then paid to the relevant government organisations on your behalf.