Frequently Asked Questions

Q I am a graduate looking to become a teacher, can I teach with your agency?

A Only if your degree is in a curriculum based subject i.e. Maths, English, Science etc. and you have some previous teaching experience that we can obtain references from.

Q I have a degree, but no teaching qualification, can I work in Primary schools?

A Unfortunately not, we only offer Primary work to teachers that hold a teaching qualification.  You would need to look into studying a Primary PCGE or obtaining a post on a Primary Graduate Teaching Program.

Q Will schools set work for me to deliver?

A Sometimes. However, we do request that all of our teachers attend school with lesson plans that they will be able to deliver in case the planning is not available.  This should include lessons that you are comfortable in delivering, relevant to the age ranges (and possibly subjects) that you will be teaching. Also, work in which you are able to differentiate levels and that the children will both enjoy and be kept stimulated.  

Q Are teachers entitled to travelling expenses?

A Unfortunately not – you are responsible for the cost of getting to and from your place of work, however, we do try to offer you local work.

Q How long does a CRB take to process?

A It can take anything from two weeks to two months depending on various circumstances i.e. how many addresses you have lived at in the past 5 years and the time of year (summer holidays are always very busy at the CRB offices), however, generally speaking, most Enhanced Disclosures are returned to us within 2 – 6 weeks of the application date?

Q Do I have to register with the GTC?

A If you hold Qualified Teacher Status i.e. you completed an British Teaching Qualification – Yes you will need to be registered with the General Teaching Council.  You do not need to register if you are overseas trained or do not hold QTS status.

Q Can you find me a permanent position?

A Yes we can certainly assist you with your search.  Classic Education deals with a large number of long term positions including permanent posts, long term positions – such as maternity or long term sickness cover as well as daily/weekly supply assignments.  You will need to register with us and provide us with an up-to-date CV.

Q Do teachers receive any notice for bookings?

A Yes, we deal with both advanced and emergency bookings.  If it is difficult for you to accept emergency bookings (i.e. early morning calls) then all you need to do is let us know and we will ensure that you are given suitable notice for your assignments.

Q  How long do I have to complete my induction, and can I do this on a supply basis?

A As a Newly Qualified Teacher, you have 4 terms to commence your induction period.  This period commences when you commence teaching after qualifying but not undertaking an assignment/post that will be awarded as part of your induction period (i.e. short term supply teaching).  If you have not secures a post to commence your induction at the end of that 4 term period, you will be requested to get a letter of extension from any/all of the education authorities that you wish to teach in.  This could be anything from a 1 term to a 3 term extension.

Q I am currently studying a teaching qualification, can I teach?

A Classic Education is happy to register student teachers once they have successfully completed their final teaching practice.

Q Can I be self employed whilst working for you as a teacher?

A Unfortunately not, we pay all of our teaching staff via PAYE (Pay As You Earn) which means that Income Tax and National Insurance deductions will be taken from your salary and paid to the relevant government organisations on your behalf.

Q How long does the registration process take?

A The registration meeting actually takes between 1 – 1.5 hours.  This is a face to face meeting to get to know you as an individual and to give you the opportunity to understand how we can assist you.  After the registration meeting, we will then need to carry out comprehensive vetting procedures.  This can take between 24 hours to 6 weeks depending on receiving certain information from third parties i.e. Criminal Records Bureau and references etc.

Q How much does it cost to register with your agency?

A It costs nothing to register with Classic Education. 

Q Do I have to attend a face to face interview?

A Yes you will.  This meeting will be held either at our offices in Gravesend or at a local Job Centre.

Q Do you deal with support staff?

A At this current time, we do not deal with any type of schools support staff – only qualified teachers.

© Classic Education Ltd 2015